Sunday, January 24, 2016

My Eating Disorder Story Part 1: "A Glamorous Girl's Disease"

Two weeks ago, I posted a Facebook status celebrating 12 years of freedom from anorexia and bulimia.  I received an overwhelming number of "likes" and encouraging comments, and was blessed to see people praising God for His healing work in my life.

I also received questions.  I welcomed this because, the whole reason I have chosen to be open about my past is because I want to help others who may be facing the same lies I once believed.  I try to answer these questions individually, but, I also felt I should address some things publicly as a preventative approach.  Please understand that I write from the perspective of someone who dealt with anorexia and bulimia as a teenage girl- I know that eating disorders know no culture, gender, or age group, and they can take on many, many forms besides obsessive dieting and weight control, but I am addressing that which I personally have experienced.  I plan to make this a three-part blog addressing some of the issues that lead to my eating disorder, and how people with the best of intentions may be inadvertently putting more people at risk. 

One of the primary reasons I slipped into disordered eating was the continued "glamorization" of eating disorders by society.  I saw a slew of movies- some were popular "teen movies" at the time, others were "after school specials" shown in health class or even in church settings to address eating disorders.   Some of these movies included "Center Stage," "The Karen Carpenter Story," "The Secret Life of Mary Margaret" and "Secret Between Friends."  All of these movies portrayed heroines or close supporting roles with eating disorders, and they were all portrayed as glamorous, popular, and successful.  In many of these movies, the eating disorder is almost portrayed as some sort of secret weapon that women used to achieve their goals.  In the true story "The Secret Life of Mary Margaret," the main character uses disordered eating to stay thin and succeed in modeling.  The narrator (the real-life Mary Margaret) even explains that she hid her bulimia by vomiting into containers in her bedroom and disposing of them in secret, so her parents wouldn't wonder why she spent time in the bathroom after every meal- not only was I learning that eating disorders were a key to success, but I learned ways that I could hide my struggle from my parents.  Often, these movies had a similar ending- the character's health goes into jeopardy, and everyone, including absentee parents, the mean girls from school, or the main character's crush, come out of the woodwork to support them and encourage them to recover, and all their life's problems are solved.

Outside of the movies, there were true stories with less happy endings, but with a similar message- eating disorders are what models, ballerinas, and any other beautiful women use to succeed.  In the minds of many teenage girls (including my own) eating disorders were perceived more and more as a key to success and less and less like the nightmare they really are.

This might seem irrational, but there are some key points to keep in mind.  First, for a teen girl or a young woman (or for any human!) popularity, success, and beauty are end-all goals.  Even for a teen who is actively walking with the Lord (as I was trying to do!), it is often beyond their maturity levels and their understanding of life to know that popularity, success, and physical beauty are not worth the price of one's health.  Second, we all hear the word "addiction," and know what it means, but we all believe addiction isn't something that can happen to us.  We all think we are strong enough to experiment with something addictive and drop it whenever we want- if we were in touch with reality, no one would ever fall prey to addiction.  Myself and many of my peers subconsciously believed that we could play around with anorexia and bulimia until we reached whatever goal we were after, and then could stop and resume normal eating and exercise habits.   Finally, keep in mind this is all subconscious- the first time I tried making myself throw up at age 11, I didn't know what I was doing.  I didn't understand the psychological connection I had made between being pretty, popular, and lovable, and with disordered eating.  Because it was ground so deeply into me, it would take much more than a simple, "You know that doesn't make you any prettier, right?" to reverse.

I think anyone who has recovered from an eating disorder will testify that it did nothing to increase their success or their physical beauty- and, even if it had, it's simply not worth the physical or emotional pain.  Even people who were overweight and dropped to an "ideal" weight through anorexia or bulimia will often say that the emotional torment and physical health issues were not worth it (and that the weight-loss didn't last).  Personally, I rarely talk to high school or even college friends any more, and, when I do, none of them remember who was popular or won what award in high school.  Personally, I did eventually had some success in modeling and pageantry, but that came years after I was fully recovered- in fact, I often work to gain healthy muscle weight before a modeling audition or pageant. 

Similarly, almost any survivor of anorexia or bulimia will remember the moment when they wanted to stop, but realized they couldn't.  I can remember at age 15, trying to get through a school day with severe pain in my throat and in my abdominal muscles (I must have pulled them while purging) and thinking that I needed to stop before I hurt myself in a worse way- but it would be another two years before I would recover, and only then after I found the courage to seek professional help.  My counselor told me that an eating disorder is much like an abusive relationship- there is a constant voice telling you that you must stick with it and accept the pain that it causes, or your whole life will fall apart.  Increased popularity and success will not come from eating disorders, but addiction and pain almost always will.

I write this blog first as a plea to anyone who may be falling for the lie that anorexia or bulimia (or any other self-destructive behavior) will somehow put you on a path towards reaching "life goals".   Please hear me when I say there is nothing glamorous or beneficial about disordered eating- it will consume you physically, emotionally, and financially.  If you find you are already trapped in addiction, please know that healing can begin when you ask for help- no, your crush might not rush to your side to support you, but there are counselors and doctors who will support you and who will want nothing more than to see you restored to health.

I also write this blog as a plea to our society, particularly those who are in leadership or role model positions toward teen girls.  Please think twice before showing a movie or reading a story about an eating disorder survivor- ask yourself if this story portrays eating disorders as a secret to success, or a "glamorous girls' disease"?  Maybe the character in question goes through horrific health issues or even dies, but again, remember that no one believes the addiction aspect will actually happen to them.  Be aware of how you talk about eating disorders and weight in general- is someone with an eating disorder a "poor, innocent person who has been lied to by the media," whereas someone who is overweight is "lazy and driving up healthcare costs?"  Do you talk about models or any other "glamorous" profession with the assumption that disordered eating is the only way to succeed in that industry?  You might hear yourself saying, "It's not worth it," but so many young women will hear, "If you want to make it, it you want to be loveable or successful, stop eating now!"

I welcome responses, in agreement or argument.  This is my personal experience and the experience of other young women I have known, but everyone has a different story.  The only way we can make these stories known is to share them and talk about them!






No comments:

Post a Comment